Co-Founding Partner |Head of International Trade Law Practice | Intellectual Property Law Counsel
Academic & Professional Background
Advocate of the Cameroon Bar Association, Republic of Cameroon
Top of the Batch, Bar Exams (2014-2018)
Université Lumière Lyon 2, France
September 2018 – October 2019
Master 2 in Droit Internationale des Affaires. Graduated second of his class with an average of 16.3 on 20
Université Catholique de Lyon, France
September 2018-October 2019
LLM in European and International Trade and Investment Law. Graduated second of his class with an average of 16.2 on 20
University of Essex, UK
October 2014-January 2016
LLM in International Human Rights Law (Economic Relations) graduating in the top 1% with a 2.1 GPA.
University of Buea, Cameroon
October 2008-August 2011
Bachelor of Laws (Hons). Graduated top of his class with a GPA of 3.54 on a scale of 4.0.
Jacob Akuo is a Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Cameroon who joined the Intellectual Property practice of a respected law firm in early 2011 before passing the Cameroon Bar exams in October 2014 and joining the Bar in January 2015. He was admitted as a full-fledged Advocate of the Cameroon Bar Association on July 4, 2018. Today he specializes in international trade law and intellectual property law while equally advising clients on tax, corporate and commercial law. He leads the international trade practice of Dayspring Law Firm. Jacob is a great Team Player, possesses significant Leadership Skills, is Client-oriented, and is known for Interpersonal Skills, Organizational Skills, and Time Management skills.
Barrister Jacob Akuo has published the following law articles:
- The African Continental Free Trade Agreement: A New Thrust with
Endless Potentials for Intra-African and International Trade, (September 2019)
Available at Soulier Avocat at https://www.soulieravocats.
- Geographical Indications within the Purview of the WTO as a Tool for
the Promotion of Economic Interests and Cultural Heritage: Conflicting Positions
between the Old World and the New World and Some Solutions Thereof (October 5, 2019). Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3481312
- The Legal Framework of Upstream Petroleum Activities in Cameroon (December 2020)
- The Future of Trade Relations Between Cameroon and the United Kingdom After Brexit (October 2020)
- Dispute Settlement Procedures of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (October 2020)
- Immigration Requirements for Foreigners Coming to Cameroon on Business or for Work (October 2020)
- The Legal Framework Against Unfair Trading Practices of Dumping and Trade in Subsidized Products in Cameroon (September, 2020)
Areas of Practice
Barrister Jacob has peerless expertise in European, African and International Trade Law and Disputes Settlement, International Investment Law and Arbitration, International Corporate and Commercial Law, Intellectual Property Law and Licensing, Project Financing, International Development, Energy and Natural Resources Law, Legal Research and Drafting, Negotiation, Strategic, Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Litigation.