Regulatory & Corporate Compliance Lawyer | Commercial Law Counsel | Certified Arbitrator | Of Counsel
Academic & Professional Background
1 – LLM, Compliance,
University of Fribourg, Switzerland, 2019 – 2021
2 – Advocate of the Cameroon Bar Association
Admitted to the Cameroon Bar Association, April 2018
3 – BL Law (Barrister-at-Law)
Nigerian Law School, Nigeria, 2015 – 2016
4 – LLB (Honours), English Common Law
University of Buea, Republic of Cameroon, 2010 – 2014
Barrister Lega is a dual qualified lawyer, being a Barrister & Solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Nigeria and Cameroon. He has gained substantial industry experience by working with several corporations as in-house counsel, company secretary and compliance officer. Lega has also accumulated professional experience by working in a number of respected law firms in Nigeria and Cameroon. Besides focusing on regulatory and compliance issues, Lega is also an arbitrator.
Areas of Practice
Barrister Lega has devoted most of his career working with corporations to help them navigate the legal and regulatory framework of business law. He has worked within several different law firms with different areas of focus in regulatory and corporate compliance and advisory practice. He offers a wealth of competence for clients, from small and medium-sized companies to multinational corporation across different industries. Lega’s practice focuses on regulatory and compliance matters, and dispute resolution.
Lega’s practice involves conducting investigations, due diligence, assisting, representing and advising corporate clients in litigations involving corporate governance, fraud and regulatory issues. He assists clients by educating and conducting legal audits, enforce rules and foster an ethical corporate work environment.
Lega assists clients to draft, review and manage complex contracts, and navigate an increasingly complex regulatory environment cutting across corporate finance standards, human resources, environmental impact, competition law, taxation, etc. He has helped companies to develop internal compliance mechanisms, monitor regulatory developments, identify risks, design and implement prevention mechanisms, overcome compliance difficulties and advise on internal rules and controls.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a Cameroonian health facility on their share capital increase;
- Advised on the incorporation of a Cameroonian microfinance institution, which is already a registered cooperative society;
- Advised a UK Fintech company seeking to operate as a Payment Service Provider (PSP) in Cameroon and the CEMAC region;
- Advised and prepared legal documentation for the increase of share capital and the creation of a subsidiary of a large company in the Democratic Republic of Congo;
- Advised American investors in connection with the operation of an amusement park in Cameroon;
- Advised an American-based pharmaceutical company in its USD 15 million acquisition of the shares of a Cameroonian pharmaceutical company;
- Prepared a regulatory framework on the insurance sector within CIMA Member States for a Nigerian reinsurance company in Cameroon
- Prepared tailored corporate governance and compliance programs for multiple enterprises.
- Advised a bank on the applicable AML/ATF legal and regulatory framework within the CEMAC region.
- Reviewed and prepared KYC manuals for two financial institutions.